Cardington Parish Council
277 The Green
Tel: 01234 838547
Bedford Borough Council wishes to consult citizens and stakeholders of the Borough for their views on introducing new dog control laws, which will replace a range of complex and out of date legislation.
The Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 enable the Council to implement new orders which provide for the offences below:
- Permitting a dog to enter land from which dogs are excluded;
- Failing to remove dog faeces;
- Not keeping a dog on a lead;
- Not putting, and keeping a dog on a lead when directed to do so;
- Offence of taking more than a specified number of dogs onto land;
This will make the laws associated with dog control more clear to the general public. Those
committing an offence can be fined up to £1,000. However, it is proposed to offer a Fixed Penalty Notice of £75 as an alternative to prosecution, which would discharge liability for the offence.
The Consultation Process
It is important that the Council listens to the opinions of citizens and stakeholders before implementing changes such as these and invites you to give your views on the issues raised in this document. The Council is particularly interested to hear from dog owners and those who use public spaces that are used for dog walking.
A consultation report will be taken to the Council’s Executive to consider the adoption of the new Dog Control Orders which will replace all dog control legislation that currently applies in the Borough. The proposed date of the Council’s Executive meeting is 20th June 2012.
A report of the results from this consultation activity will be published on the Council’s website within three weeks of the ending of the consultation period. You can respond to the consultation in the following ways:
- Online: www.bedford.gov.uk/dogcontrol
- By post: CONSULTING BEDFORD, FREEPOST ANG5840, BEDFORD, MK40 1ZD
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By phone: (01234) 228435
- In person: Copies of the consultation document are available at Borough Hall reception, Town Hall reception and at all Borough libraries along with response forms.
For Cardington residents who do not have internet access and wish to reply by pos, copies of the Response Form are available from the Parish Clerk.
The consultation runs from 19th March 2012 – 14th May 2012.